I have been doing a bit of self-reflection and would love to share my journey with you.
This self-reflection is what ultimately brought me to yoga. I felt lost after a period of dropping out of college in New York, quitting a job I hated, and moving back home with my parents. I felt like a failure and was tired of just going through the motions trying to fit in with the social norm. After sulking in self-pity for several months I decided it was time to sort through all the gunk that I was holding onto to find what I truly needed. Instead of setting out on a journey to find the perfect job, I set out on a journey through yoga to find my most authentic self. Of course, my parents and friends thought I had completely lost it. But ironically, I discovered my perfect job by connecting with who I truly was.
Its funny how even now as I yoga teacher I still encounter stress. I remember thinking that if I only became a yoga teacher that all my problems would be solved. But the truth is that just like yoga, departing from my past tendencies will always be a life-long practice. I tend to be very hard on myself, which is why my intention is to avoid comparing me to others. Whether that be when I am practicing yoga, teaching a class, or just in my everyday life. Of course there are times when I get bogged down in a storm, but for the most part I try to dance in the rain. We are all multi-faceted creatures who are unique from one another. We may not have all the answers or be the best in everything we do, but that is what keeps life interesting. Be weird, laugh, play, and learn. Explore all of your options and enjoy the ride.
Now you try it! All you need is 5 minutes and a quiet space to connect to you...
Take a moment to close your eyes (If you are driving please put your mobile device down :) ), take a long 5 second inhale and 5 second exhale. Visualize your life through a series of images; a montage from past to present. Observe your thoughts without taking yourself down a rabbit hole of judgement. Now open your eyes. How do you feel now in this moment? From your journey through life so far are you happy and content with who you are right now?
If yes: Find gratitude! Be proud and own your life, your choices, YOU. The truth is that all of those experiences that you went through brought you to this moment.
If no: You have the power to choose what path you would like to set out on next. How cool is that?! I always think back to my college days in my business management program reading books on how to succeed and the author who stood out to me most was Stephen R. Covey. He has what he calls the 90/10 Theory. 10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react. Perhaps your flight was delayed, someone cut you off on the road, or you left your coffee in the roof of your car and drove off. That is the 10% that you have no control over, but you decide what happens next. You determine the other 90% of your life. So why not choose happiness, contentment, peace, mindfulness. I am sure that we are all guilty of saying, "I will be happy when..." Instead of waiting on your bliss to arrive at your doorstep, take action and grasp it. The possibilities are limitless.
Hi, I'm Lauren. I love to travel, experience different cultures, and meet interesting people, so naturally I combined those two passions to teach yoga and lead retreats and workshops around the world. I love being outdoors, cuddling with my dog, hot tea, and engaging in conversation, This is my space to share my latest thoughts.